Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Consumer ratings of Brookdale Senior Living

Feedback for www.brookdaleliving.com/ has been compiled from 721 Customer Reviews

• Nov-10-2013
  • We are all aging; some of us never stop living. So when the time comes to determine how you or your loved one will spend their later years in life, you'll have questions… Will I be heard? Will I be forgotten? How can I stay active? Will I be able to still grow as a person? Will my children still look up to me? Or down at me? How can I just be her daughter again? How can I continue to contribute to something meaningful? What do I do now? What do we do next? What do I do…to keep on living my life?

Good
Bad

DateServiceRatingCustomer ReviewReply from www.brookdaleliving.com/
Mar-11-2015

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

Overall the center is professional and considerate of the resident's needs. The staff was always very friendly and helpful.

Dec-05-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

All of the Carolina House staff are so kind and helpful.

Dec-04-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

You need to explore why all the wonderful staff at Brookdale Smithfield has quit since the new ED was hired. It is definitely not the same place nor is the atmosphere the same for the residents. We have considered moving our loved one.

Nov-20-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

I have overall been pleased with the care of my mom. If I have to talk to anyone about her care they are very receptive & are willing to talk. I know I hear mom say that she wish's they had more outings.

Nov-17-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

We could not be more pleased with the quality of care and service our parents have received at Chambrel. The staff is awesome, their room is homey, the food is great and the grounds are lovely. It is clear that everyone who works there really cares about the residents. There are many opportunities to get involved, and the staff is always trying to come up with new and fun activities. Knowing that there are people who are looking out for our parents when we're not there gives us such peace of mind, and you can't put a price tag on that.

Nov-14-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

Now that things have settled down after the recent turnover at Chambrel, our family is very happy with all of the services our mother is receiving.

Nov-13-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

Overall, my parents and I are happy with the space, services and staff at Brookdale Chanate in Santa Rosa. The grounds are very peaceful despite being next to a busy street and the public areas are well kept. The only source of anxiety and frustration for them and me is the dining room situation. Specifically, many times when they arrive at their appointed seating time, their assigned table is still occupied or hasn't been cleaned and set for them. Also, since they moved in, a new system was started on the weekends (or at least on Saturdays), in which residents can sit where ever they would like (vs. in their assigned table). My parents would much rather know for sure where they will be seating when they arrive at the dining room as oppose to have to locate an open table, which causes them a lot of anxiety. In fact, having assigned tables was one of the features that attracted us to Chanate. I haven't yet brought this up with the management at Chanate but plan to do so soon. Thanks.

Nov-13-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

Assisted Living.... rated poor because my mother has dementia and nurses call me with issues related to the dementia as if they didn't get her file with the information. Also, they are not cleaning her room, laundry etc. Isn't that why we are paying the set fee so that all this is coordinated and taken care of with out family having to make sure that everything is the way it should be? Assisted Living should be coordinating their efforts with the physician staff who is also seeing my mother on site and coordinating her care. That was the compelling reason to have Mom at your location was so that her care could be coordinated seamlessly.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

We feel the direct care staff members are very kind, sincere, and attentive. There appear to be numerous and meaningful activities. The food appears very good, nutritious, and plentiful. We feel our family member is in a safe and clean environment. The exterior provides a nice place for residents to walk and sit.
Our main concerns are about recurring problems that might be solved from having another licensed health care nurse, at least part-time, on staff. We feel the one licensed nurse in the facility is very knowledgeable and kind, but she has a phenomenal amount of responsibilities that in turn can lead to problems. As a family we have experienced the following problems:
Poor communication by the facility staff members with our family member’s physician related to lab orders resulting in repetitive (duplication of services) and unnecessary lab draws: As an example, our family member had a normal TSH drawn by her primary care physician and within a few weeks the same lab was unnecessarily repeated when the facility followed up on a pharmacy consult recommendation during the regulatory chart review. Instead of repeating the test, the facility should have requested lab results from the PCP. Furthermore, multiple CBC's were drawn, but not according to the physician’s intended schedule based on antibiotic treatment.
Poor communication with family members about new medical orders although as a family we have requested to always be notified about any new order
Questionable standards of practice in obtaining labs: For example, it took several days to obtain a urinalysis from our family member who is continent. The staff member actually finally got the specimen AFTER our family member began taking an antibiotic.
Lack of a system to assure original MOST (Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment) and DNR orders are maintained on the chart: As the health care power of attorney for our family member, my signature as well as the physician’s signature, are required on the MOST form in order for it to be valid. I had to obtain this form a second time (within 2 months of the initial one) because the facility staff could not locate the initial one.
Lack of care plan oversight: For example, we have requested that a plan be developed for direct care staff to cue our family member to change clothes regularly, but we see no implementation of this.
Infection control concern: There is never soap in the bathroom dispenser when I visit.
Please note: We have recently addressed these concerns with our local Brookdale facility staff and trust that we will see some positive changes.

staff is very friendly

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

The Carolina House is all my Mom needs to feel safe and happy. The housekeeping leaves some improving. The carpets in the upstairs hall and stairs always look like have not been vacuumed. When I first visited Carolina House everything was so neat and clean looking. The front porch furniture is new and nice

12-Nov-2014
I have already written about Carolina House of Cary, NC where my mother is living. I also agree with other writers that the snacks that are given is way to sweet and processed. My Mom as diabetes and should not have these. This facility is small and should be easy to work with individual needs. That is why I wanted to have Mom there. Please that this into consideration and also the housekeeping.

Nov-11-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

My mother, Alice Wilson, was given loving care the entire time she was in Clare Bridge. The staff were amazing! I visited my mother almost every day and never once did I feel she was not the upmost care and respect. The staff loved her like family. I would recommend this facility without any reservations at all. My mother passed away on 9-14-2014 at 97 years of age. She fell on 9-7-2014, broke her hip and only lived a week. She never suffered because of the loving care of the staff and UNC Hospice. I still go visit about once a week. There's definitely a connection that I feel especially with Joyce, Shanese, and April.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

We are very happy with the Staff especially those in P.L. and Rehab. They are kind and loving and very helpful.
We have had some issues with how timely some of the maintenance and work order issues are handled (especially the roach problem and the delay on installing much needed grab bars the first couple of months - this was finally finished when my Dad fell one day.)

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

The caregivers are mostly caring and patient with the residents. Obviously, some are much better than others, and sometimes it seems as if there are not enough caregivers for the number and condition of the residents. Della, the program coordinator is very caring and patient and works hard to interest the residents.

We were not happy with the head administrator at Carolina House or the nurse. We have been notified very recently that neither are employed at Carolina House any longer, and that is definitely a positive to my family.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

My Mother has been in Carolina House, Forest City, NC, for over 3 years. Excellent
Care, very clean facility, excellent management and staff.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

Randy was thorough, knowledgeable and very helpful in answering our questions regarding the new memory care center.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

My mother has been very comfortable and happy while she has been at Chambrell of Williamsburg. The staff are very helpful and caring. They go above and beyond to make sure their residents have everything they need.

Nov-09-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

Senior living is a complicated issue. We want the best for our loved one's and we always want more and better care, but the reality of the situation is that Brookdale and their employees do the best that they can for the amount of money we pay. The cost seems enormous on our end, but again when we consider that it is all inclusive, 24/7 care it is probably a bargain.

Are there things I would change? Yes. Do I have the ability and know how to make those changes? No. In short, it is what it is.

Nov-09-2014

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

The experience could be better if Mother would take advantage of the offered activities. But she shows no interest in this.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

My son loves where he lives. He is the type not to complain or ask for help. He wants to think he can "do it himself." Therefore, the person who is supposed to help him hang up his clothes, put suspenders on his pants after they have been washed, and keep his bed made does not do her job! I am too old with health problems to have to do some of this for him. I have spoken to them once, but am not a complainer either. I really like majority of the staff. They do a great job. I just wish the person assigned to him would be more diligent.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

I'd like to have a category between Good and Poor -- maybe "Mixed." Many aspects of our family's experience are favorable, but we have a couple of ongoing concerns about areas we'd like to see improved.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

The quality of the food has steadily declined since my parents became residents in April 2014. They seem to be having trouble finding a chef/cook that is consistent.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

I am very thankful for this facility. I appreciate the care they give my mother. I would like to see healthier choices of food. Except for the fruit offered at snack, it appears that every snack and most foods served are full of processed sugars and white flour. My mother has put on close to 20 pounds in the few months she has been there. I have experimented with many healthy diets...or way of life eating plans and would be happy to share any ideas if interested.
Thank you for all your staff has done.

07-Nov-2014
More activities at night.

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

The staff at Brookdale have always been polite and understanding to our family. I appreciate all the loving and kind care to my mother. My mother has said that if she is unable to live at home this is the next best place. Thanks for all you do for her!

Your Experience With Brookdale Senior Living

My mom has been a resident for 2yrs and it hD been a wonderful experience. She is very happy and loved her caregivers. They all are very loving to her and treats her as I would! Only problem is mom will not get to stay there once her funds run out as Medicaid is no longer accepted. Very sad for mom and our family!! Thanks got all you do at Carolina house in lexington nc.