The Adventure Company Reviews

Consumer ratings of The Adventure Company

Feedback for www.adventurecompany.co.uk/ has been compiled from 1170 Customer Reviews

• 13/11/2012
  • Adventure holidays are our speciality. We create exciting worldwide adventure tours and itineraries for everyone, from big families to solo adults. Our small group trips let you explore unfamiliar places, trek through incredible mountain scenery, get active and enjoy the local culture. Be inspired and join us on your next adventure holiday

Good
Bad

DateProductRatingCustomer ReviewReply from www.adventurecompany.co.uk/
20-Apr-2014

Around the Bay of Naples - Family Holiday

Service rating : Amongst other complaints, we were promised a "surprise" but our guide, Davide, had no idea what this should have been.
Product: I will be writing separately about our experience on this holiday. It was not the most enjoyable experience I have ever had.

19-Apr-2014

Around the Bay of Naples - Family Holiday

Service rating : The accommodation and trip leader were dreadful. We were short changed on elements that were supposed to be in the itinery and were not.
Product: The accommodation and trip leader were dreadful. We were short changed on elements that were supposed to be in the itinery and were not. I would never recommend this trip or company. I am awaiting a refund along with every other family on the tour.

19-Apr-2014
See below my 2 complaint letters..

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to register our general disappointment with this holiday. From the awful hotel in Naples to the general lack of engagement and local knowledge we have seen from our guide. I shall be coming back to you once I am back at home to elaborate on all the issues we have had in more detail.

For now however I wish to make specific reference to the fact that yesterdays day trip to Capri did not include a trek to and a visit inside the Blue Grotto as advertised in the trip itinerary. We were not given the choice ! Simply taken off around the island by converted fishing boat. We only found out once trapped here that the Grotto was suddenly off the agenda. The Blue Grotto is featured on your website as one of the biggest highlights and selling points and so you will understand my unhappiness at being short changed.

As I said, more complaints to come in more detail once we are returned.

We have now been returned from our trip with you for a week. I have had time to reflect further on the quality and value for money of the product we received and still find myself feeling very angry and let down by you. As mentioned in my email of the 10th April, the issues surrounding the day trip to see Capri and it’s (lack of) highlights was just one in a long list of complaints and problems – which I shall describe here in more detail.

1. Hotel Ideal, Naples. It is more than fair to say that the Hotel Ideal is less than ideal.
a. It is not the hotel advertised in the trip notes. I downloaded and printed these a few days before our departure. Quite clearly they say that we should be staying at the Hotel Naples. A family in our group even managed to check into the Hotel Naples before being told they were in the wrong hotel and having to move. The Hotel Naples is pleasant hotel, in a good, safe location, close to the museums and more attractive areas of Naples. By contrast the Hotel Ideal is none of these things.
b. There was no twin room available for myself and my 8 year old son, despite your trip notes stating ‘Our trips are based on a twin share basis’
c. The room itself was tiny, shabby and very noisy - directly above a very busy thoroughfare from the main railway station. The toilet seat was cracked, as was the sink. Every corner was dirty and the extractor fan vent dropped greasy black dust on me.
d. Location – awful. A really unsafe area of the city. Even our group leader was heard to comment that, if he had any children, he would not bring them to the area.
e. Breakfast – virtually non-existent. A queue for the non-functioning hot drinks machine and a really poor spread of food. The first morning I was forced to go and pay extra in the café next door to the hotel to get a hot drink and something edible for my son. The second morning was the same, except worse as there was virtually nothing left to eat anyway. This time I actually took my son to a different hotel to get him a decent breakfast and had to pay 12 euros for the pleasure.

Your literature about this trip says the following: Family First Accommodation
As the leader in providing Family Adventure holidays, we fully understand the importance to you of clean, comfortable, family friendly accommodation. Our families team hand-pick all of our accommodation to provide you with the best value and best experience possible. We are so confident in our accommodation selections, that we name every property that you will stay in on all our Family Adventures, so that you can be fully confident in your holiday choice.
Clean, comfortable and family friendly it was not. It was a £40 a night doss house.

2. Day trip to Capri. We were promised a ferry ride, a trip into the Blue Grotto and a bus ride up to Anna Capri. We got an unwelcome small and rough boat ride around the island and dumped in the harbour to make our own way. David stayed long enough to see us buy tickets for the train up to Capri and told us to be back at the boat by 5.30 PM. That was it. He spent the day asleep on the beach. When asked about the deviation from the itinerary he said he thought we would prefer the boat ride. We did not. We missed out on a highlight.
3. The surprise visit did not happen. David had no idea what this was, but thought it could have been something that has been closed for 2 years !
4. Included meals. We went to the same restaurant twice (it belongs to the family that own Villa Giovana) despite telling David that we all wanted to try somewhere different after the first visit. Perhaps there was a financial incentive coming into play here.
5. David our Group Leader. Lazy, disengaged and unknowledgeable. This is actually my biggest bug bear of the whole trip. A good leader can make or, as in this case, break a trip. It is the local knowledge, talent and enthusiasm of the trip leader that one is actually paying for when booking a tour like this. I can only compare you to my experience with G Adventures – both family holidays I had with them were brilliant (even with rather basic accommodation) and the reason they were brilliant was because of the tour leader. People were falling over themselves at the end of the trip to give these guys tip money. Interested, patient, willing to answer or try to answer every question, keen to be involved with the group – especially the children – like the pied piper, always smiling and suggesting things extra to the printed itinerary that we could do or see. Stopping the mini bus to point out something of interest – joining up all the dots. These guys has the attention and respect of the group.

I don’t wish to be too personal about David, because on the face of it he was a pleasant enough chap, but quite clearly not the man for the job. He said he had done this tour over 20 times – either he was bored with it or had his eyes closed for the previous 19. Many questions about our surroundings were met with ‘I don’t know’. He would lead us to a place and then dump us there, disappear off for hours. He seemed to have little idea about what children need, regular timely meals is essential. He showed no concern for the groups’ enjoyment of the trip at all. He also did not appear to have been given a copy of the itinerary. I could continue to list incidents and examples of poor behaviour from David if you need me to, let me know.

I paid, not including flights, £2031 for this holiday, this is expensive ! More than 10 magical nights in Costa Rica with all manner of things included. I expected so much more from this trip and was sorely disappointed.

I am looking to you to make an offer of some generous compensation and I look forward to hearing from you.

02-Nov-2013

Around the Bay of Naples

Service rating : We had a great time - we could have done with a bit more information about the arrangements and the role of the guide
Product: We had such a lovely time and experiences we won't forget - great food a great guide in Davide and so many lovely places to visit - we really felt it was tailored to suit us which felt great and made us really relax and just enjoy it all

20-Apr-2013

Around the Bay of Naples - Family Holiday

Service rating : The staff are knowledgeable and helpful on the phone; information provided is clear and easy to understand.
Only negative comment I have is about our flights. Firstly: when I booked the holiday there was no indication that our flight was not direct (I would have liked the opportunity to find a direct flight for myself, but that's just me because I hate connecting flights!). Later, our original Rome-Naples flight was cancelled (by the airline) so our departure time from Heathrow was changed to a later flight: again, I would've preferred to have been consulted on this before it was done (though I appreciate this may not always be possible). Finally: our connection times at Naples (both outbound and return) were extremely tight: I guess this is standard industry practise, and we did make both flights, but anyone with more than one young child might have found it quite frantic!!
Product: The holiday was well organised and well planned, with an excellent balance of activities, free time, and time to socialise with the other families in the group. Our tour leader was fantastic, and worked so hard to make sure everything went smoothly and we had all the information we needed. We were offered additional or alternative activities without any pressure to participate, and the activities were suitable for all the children (ranging in age from 7 to 16). It really was an excellent, well planned holiday. The other families in the group were all great company, and the whole group got on really well (I realise this is outside the control of the Adventure Company, but you're obviously doing something right here!). An excellent holiday, I can't praise it highly enough.

20-Apr-2013
Well organised, knowledgeable, high level of customer service.