Travel Department Reviews

Consumer ratings of Travel Department

Feedback for www.traveldepartment.ie has been compiled from 157 Customer Reviews

• 27/09/2012
  • The Travel Department is Ireland's leading tour operator and we have been in business for over sixteen years. We are fully licensed and bonded by the Commission for Aviation Regulation, which ensures peace of mind when you book a holiday with us

Good
Bad

DateProductRatingCustomer ReviewReply from www.traveldepartment.ie
27-May-2013

Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai

My flight to Beijing was cancelled and we were put on a flight to Hong Kong, then to Beijing which meant we missed our first day in Beijing. When I came home I rang the travel department to see what could be done for me and was told to get in touch with British Airways myself. I flet the Travel Department should have made the complaint on my behalf and helped me more.

17-May-2013

Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai

Service rating : Abandoned to our own devices at foreign airport following cancellation. No alternative arrangements were made even though the flight had been cancelled more than 12 hours earlier. Maybe they were afraid that if people knew their onward flight was cancelled before they left Dublin they might have decided not to travel. I know I would. Terrible service-appalling way to treat people.
Product: Food terrible. Relentless pressure to buy add ons. Reaction to complaint dismisive i.e. nobody else complained. Everybody knows the Irish never complain. Perhaps if we did, we would get better service.

13-May-2013

Estoril Solo Friendly Holiday

Service rating : enjoyed holiday see below for feedback
Product: REALLY ENJOYED THE HOLIDAY AND LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE OF THE SAME. WOULD'NT BE THAT HAPPY WITH THE DINNERS BUT ALL HOTEL FOOD MUCH THE SAME ABROAD I STILL ATE IT SO NO WORRIES. would love to visit paris for few days so do a trip there sometime. thanks

13-May-2013

Costa del Sol, Malaga City & Gibraltar (From Cork)

EXCELLENT AS USUAL.

11-May-2013

Highlights of Madeira – Easter Week 4 Star

Service rating : The information provided was excellent. The guide was also excellent. The only problem was some poor weather conditions and that is not your fault.
Product: The hotel was fine. The buffet meals were often on the cold side and that was disappointing.

11-May-2013

Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai

Service rating : We had very helpful service from the Travel department.
Product: Our holiday was marvellous. Our guide Donald Yang was a delight and answered all our queries with interest and enthusiasm. We enjoyed every aspect of the trip which was very well planned. Our hotels were comfortable and all travel arrangements were carefully sorted out for us. I could not rate it more highly. Carol Reynolds

Highlights of Madeira – Departing Easter Weekend 5 Star

Service rating : Excellent professional service with no hiccups.
Product: Comprehensive and very enjoyable.

Highlights of Madeira 4 Star

Service rating : Overall we had a lovely holiday & I would highly recommend travelling with the travel department
Product: The Melia Mare hotel was definitely 5* and the food there was fantastic - however The Girassol was definitely not 4* - the food was awful.
The tours were great & tour guides were very well informed & friendly & overall I would recommend a holiday to Madeira as it is a beautiful place.

Easter in Lake Como, the Swiss Alps & Milan 3 Star

Service rating : We were very well looked after fr om the time we met our guide to the time she left us back to the airport. She gave us good, useful information at all times.
Product: The guides were excellent . we particularly enjoyed the two trips into Switzerland.

10-May-2013

Beijing & the Great Wall of China (From Cork)

Service rating : Absolutely Excellent from start to finish
Product: The Legendary Hotel is out of this world. Never before and possibly never again will I experience such luxury Your guide David was excellent too .Thanks again for everything..

Easter in Rome

Service rating : everything was very organised,
everything was explained to us beforehand
Product: The hotel was excellent and the Staff lovely, it would have been nice if the Hotel was more central.
the trips were great and very informative

Easter in Prague

very satisifed with the service provided.

Estoril Solo Friendly Holiday

Service rating : Tour guide excellent. Tours during trip excellent and meals on tours excellent.
Product: breakfast variety poor, especially cereals and coffee from machine undrinkable

Highlights of Madeira – Easter Week 3 Star

Service rating : very efficient great local guide definitely go with them in the future
Product: maderia night was much better than expected. Keep Roberto as your local guide

Easter in Rome

The only "problem" I would have is the fact that you cannot book your seat or do an early check in when travelling with the Travel Department especially when you have an early flight you have to be at the airport very early if you want a particular seat I travel with Aer Lingus all the time independently and always book seats/meals and pre check-in so I miss it when I travel with the Travel Department. Also more weekend departures especially long weekends for us that work and find it awkward taking midweek breaks.

Highlights of Madeira 5 Star

Service rating : Overall the service was good but we had to chase up our tickets with the Travel Department before we departed to Madeira. We were told the tickets were emailed to us but they weren't, so they had to be emailed again. We think the tickets should be sent in hard copy to the customer - this is the least that could be done for people purchasing a fairly expensive holiday. The baggage labels were useless and we had to make our own.
Product: Madeira was beautiful and the Melia Mare hotel was very nice but many of the staff there were unfriendly and the reception staff were unhelpful. The half-board option, which we had, was very bad value, as the dinners were not worth the money we paid for them. Most evenings we ate in other places and got much better value. We noticed that the 4-star and 3-star hotels were dreadful and we would not recommend that people go on Travel Department holidays to those hotels. Our tour guide Roberto was knowledgeable and helpful and the other guides and bus drivers were very nice. We will return to Madeira but probably not with the Travel Department.

Easter in Lake Garda, Venice & Verona 4 Star

Service rating : The trip was very good value, yet the standards were very good.
Product: I stayed in the hotel Liberty and found that the staff in the hotel particularly the waiters in the restaurant, added to my experience. They were very pleasant, professional in dress and in manner. It was a lovely hotel. I enjoyed the trips and overall found it very good value for money. I would recommend this trip and the traveldepartment and would definately take a trip with them again.

Highlights of Andalucia 3 Star

Service rating : service from Travel Department was excellent.
Product: Our guide Daniel couldn't do enough for us. He was excellent - and so kind and helpful. The Hotel Coso Viejo was comfortable and clean and staff were helpful and friendly. However, they need to do something about their breakfasts. They were v poorly organised - one day ok, next day chaotic, next day disastrous.

10-May-2013
Nothing more to add to my earlier comment. Excellent

Estoril Solo Friendly Holiday

Service rating : No comment needed.
Product: Pls see my email & reply from CCC Rachael Treacy of April 16th, thank you.
Would have preferred hotel to be in town centre.
Would like to visit Madeira. Please consider including this destination on Solo Friendly.

10-May-2013

Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai (From Cork)

Service rating : Overall I was very pleased with the accommodation and with the programme. It was of a high standard.
Product: The only complaint I have is that the flight from London to Beijing on British Airways was cancelled. I only found out when I reached terminal 5 and even though I have been told that the Travel Department contacted me, I received no communication. I rebooked on Air China and was pleased with the standard. However I met nobody else on the tour until I reached Beijing. I was unsure as to what was happening. It would help if there was a representative from the Travel Department at Heathrow who could explain and sort out any difficulties and who might gather the group together.

Beijing & the Great Wall of China

Service rating : The service both administrative -pre-holiday- and from the Tour Guide on the ground was excellent.
Product: We had a wonderful holiday and would definitely travel with your company again.

Costa del Sol, Malaga City & Gibraltar

Service rating : The Travel Department has always done an excellent job. They are always friendly and helpful and offer very good value for money.
Product: The hotel was generally unsatisfactory. The room was very noisy and the smoke from the smoker next door seeped into the room. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

31-Dec-2012

Belfast & The Antrim Coast

THE TRIP TO BELFAST WAS VERY GOOD

31-Dec-2012
TUSCANY 9/10/2012 LOVELY TRIP , HOTEL SERVICE EXCELLENT ,TIME IN SENNA ANDZINGNANNA TOO SHORT,OPTIONALTRIP OF WINE TASTING AND LUNCH EXCELLENT,LOVELY GROUP.

20-Dec-2012

Lake Garda, Venice & Verona 4 ****

THE TRAVEL DEPARTMENT WERE VERY GOOD AND NICE TO US.
THE ONLY ISSUE WE HAD WAS THAT THERE WAS NO ENTERTAINMENT IN THE HOTEL AT NIGHT. WE WOULD ALSO HAVE LIKED A KITTLE IN OUR ROOM.

07-Nov-2012

Prague City Break

The trip to Prague was wonderful, it was really well organized not a minute wasted. Our guide Marcella was so helpful, we would have not done or seen as much only for her.We would definitely go with The Travel Departement again and strongly recommend it.We met lovely people in the group and never felt alone. Well Done

01-Nov-2012

Prague City Break

I found the service we got was good from the holiday guide she could not

have done any more she was so informative . Hotel was good but a little

to far outside the city

31-Oct-2012

Costa Brava & Barcelona

First time to travel with them and very disappointed. Made a request to get an extra special upgrade in the hotel and paid for this in full. Unfortunately when we arrived the hotel had no record of the upgrade, we were very disappointed as this holiday was to celebrate a special event. We also had a problem with the spelling of my husbands name on our travel documents despite the fact that we rang the TR Dept on 2 separate occasions - once before we left and again while we were away. Staff in Dublin Airport alerted us to this and advised that it should be rectified before we traveled home however the correction was never made.

After we returned home it took a number of weeks, 2 phone calls and finally a strongly worded letter to receive our refund so taking everything into consideration we our experience with the TD was not a very positive one.

Thank you for providing feed back. I can understand your frustration. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I can see from our records that you received a full response from our Customer Service Representative. All of your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments in our company and will be taken into deep consideration with planning future holidays. If you wish to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate in contacting us.

30-Oct-2012

Tuscany Walking Holiday

I enjoyed it very much.Guide was efficient and friendly and also those other guides we met on the walks.The group got on well together.The food was not the best but it did improve on request from members of the group.

30-Oct-2012
I think they are marvellous and make it so eay for us togo to very beautiful places.There are a lot of people who like to travel alone but the single supplement is a big draw back so it needs a lot of thought on your part.a lot of single ritired out there with loads of money to spend on travel!

29-Oct-2012

Highlights of Sardinia

Service rating : We think they give a very good service ,that is why we have used them a few times.
Product: Hotel excellent - very friendly and helpful staff at reception.
We unfortunately had to cut our holiday short owing to the death of close friend.
Both our guide and the hotel staff were very sympathetic , understanding and helpful.

27-Oct-2012

Rome, Perugia & Assisi

Service rating : In the past the Travel Department has provided excellent service but this last trip did not come up to the same standard,
Product: In the past my wife and I have enjoyed holidays in Italy and Malta organised by your company. We have always been well satisfied and indeed recommended you to our friends.
Unfortunately this has not been the case on our last trip to Rome, Perugia and Assisi leaving Dublin on 19th September returning on 26th September.
The main reason for our dissatisfaction was the distance our hotel base in Fiuggi was from Rome in particular, necessitating more than 3 hours each day spent on a bus travelling on the same Motorway. The excursion to Perugia & Assisi involved over 4 hours travel while a visit to Pompeii (extra) necessitated 5 hours bussing for a tour lasting 1hour 30 minutes. Altogether we spent, at a conservative estimate, 16 hours excluding transfers sitting on a bus with stops at a Service Station as the highlight of the journey. Admittedly there was some pleasant sightseeing but insufficient to make the repetitious journeys enjoyable.
It is incomprehensible why the Tour Company should select the very mediocre Hotel Tiffany (our room was very small with strips of torn wallpaper hanging off the walls, hot water was limited, the food was bland). We blindly trusted the Company because of our previous good experiences.
As a location the village of Fiuggi (more than the stipulated I hour journey from the airport) was an extremely uninteresting place easily investigated in 1-2 hours. The much vaunted Spa had been closed down and the Park charged an exorbitant entrance fee, yet our itinerary had allocated 3 out of 6 days as “free for relaxing, shopping and further sightseeing”. Though we had a fluent Italian speaker in our group, use of the local bus proved impossible due to conflicting times given for its possible departure and a very casual attitude on the part of the service employees. One free day was frustratingly wasted and we totally refused to spend any time there. Our guide had to be persuaded to arrange two extra outings for which we willingly paid extra. Only the excellent company of the other holiday makers and a determination to enjoy ourselves saved the whole experience from disaster.
Overall, we were very disappointed in our holiday and will be less enthusiastic in future about The Travel Department.

We were most disappointed to learn of your complaints in regard to your holiday particularly with the Hotel Tiffany. We have worked successfully with this hotel for several years. Although a three star hotel in Italy may be considered somewhat basic when compared to its counterparts in the UK & Ireland, we have found the Tiffany to offer good service and a pleasant stay to our customers. However we will be investigating the shortcomings you encountered on your holiday. We will also take all your observations into consideration when choosing this hotel and excursions for future holidays to this region in Italy. If you would like to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate in contacting our customer service representative on info@thetraveldepartment.co.uk

24-Oct-2012

our 5 trip with t d. always looked after so well

24-Oct-2012

Costa Brava & Barcelona

Hotel Service and food was quite good - enjoyed staying there and train service on your door step.
The organised trips weren't to the same standard and I felt the Guide was a big let down. We had 2 trips organised to Barcelona - the first lacked due consideration for the needs of those on the tour. The 2nd trip could only be described as a disaster as it was a public Holiday that day and most places were closed down. Th guide knew it was a public holiday and only told us as we were coming into Barcelona. A lot of people were very disappointed and had the guide informed us prior to travelling we could have made other plans - unforgivable.
Our trip to Monderrat was a bit rushed as we were under pressure to get to a place that produces cava - such a pity as Monserrat was so beautiful.
Coaches were of poor standard - the A/C broke down on one of the days!
You have a good product but unfortunately it fell a bit short.

23-Oct-2012

Madeira

the hotel was not the grade stated on our deal. no air conditioning in 4 star hotel we had to leave window open and then the noise from a manhole on the street which is a disgrace that councils would leave that noise continue for their visitors.we enjoyed the tours and group were very nice. tour guide roberta very good also. overall madeira is expensive but worth seeing.

22-Oct-2012

Madeira

Service rating : We have been on 5 trips with you and have enjoyed all of them--well organised with good guides .
Product: Hotel had NO airconditioning in the Bedrooms which you would expect in a 4* hotel .
On arrival at the hotel we had to drag our cases some distance over two ramps and up five steps .
Traditional meal in a restaurant out of town was a disaster .
Guide and driver were excellent . The delay in our departure time was welcome as the revised time was more reasonable .
The food in the hotel was very good but with limited choice . sercive was excellent .

21-Oct-2012

Rome & Sorrento

We were disappointed with our trip with you.
while staying in Rome we did not arrive with the full group.
We had to carry our luggage a distance on the morning we were leaving Rome.
We had too Many different guides!
The food in the hotel in Sorrento was NOT at all good Not 3star nor it was 4star.
There was no air conditioning working in the bed rooms as a result we had to eave the windows open and got lots of Mosquito bits!!!!

Thank you for your feedback - I can appreciate the views you have expressed in regard to your holiday. We have many clients who expect a high comfort level in their accommodation however a 3 or 4 star hotel in Italy are not the same standard as a 3 or 4 star in Ireland or the UK. This is not to say that basic services in the hotel should not be provided and we will certainly investigate the matter further. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I offer you our sincerest apologies for the difficulties you encountered and I hope they did not detract too much from the enjoyment of your holiday. I hope that we may look forward to welcoming you on future trips with our company. Should this be the case we will endeavour to ensure your holiday experience is satisfactory in every aspect.

19-Oct-2012

Cork & The Titanic Experience at Cobh

Service rating : All arrangements were as advertised. The tour guide and coach driver were excellent. Tour with stops to different sites perfect.
Product: Our Tour Guide, Mia, was informed about her subject and gave terrific background to the other tour guides in Kilkenny and Cobh. She shepherded us through everything with great care and expertise.

18-Oct-2012

Rome, Perugia & Assisi

Service rating : The Travel Department offer wide ranging holidays & good value at a good price.
Product: The Hotel left something to be desired having a 'fawtly towers' effect. Service was amaturish at best. Facilities were very limited, & there was no wifi or internet access.

18-Oct-2012

Lake Garda, Venice & Verona 4 ****

Service rating : Really enjoyed our holiday with the Travel Department. It was our first holiday with them and wil definitely travel with them again. Loved the fact that everything was organised in advance, i.e tours etc and all we had to do was show up!
Product: On our first night in the hotel we were seated at a table with another couple, which we didnt mind at all but were then told that we had to sit at that table for each mealtime,meant you didnt get to choose where you sat or whom you sat with. This i found a bit offputting and a bit like a "school tour"!. This was obviously the policy of the hotel! It was the only "negative" off the holiday!

17-Oct-2012

Madeira

We had a really enjoyable holiday. The Hotel, the food, the tours and the excellent tour guide all contributed to this. Well done to the Travel dept.

16-Oct-2012

Tuscany - Original tour

The service was very efficient. The trip was excellent. We had a brilliant guide who was always in great form, gave us lots of information and ensured everybody was enjoying themselves.

Just one small glitch - our hotel accommodation was separate from the main hotel. We had to cross a road which included a number of steps on both sides -no so pleasant when it was raining!!

16-Oct-2012

Rome, Perugia & Assisi

Not at all happy with the Hotel we stayed in. Poor choice of Food , Cold water some evenings when requiring a shower, Toilet paper very scarce in room and had to ask at reception for toilet paper and also a bath towel during our stay.

15-Oct-2012

Tuscany - Original tour

Very good and dependable. The accommodation on this trip was poor quality in every way and I would not recommend this to anyone if it was to the older part of this hotel.

15-Oct-2012

Lake Como, The Swiss Alps & Milan 3 ***

Found the information provided to be correct and very helpful.

14-Oct-2012

Lake Garda, Venice & Verona 3 ***

The Travel Department provide an excellent service, the tours were very informational and interested and also allowed the customer to have free time which was great. The hotel we stayed in was sufficient and clean with friendly staff.

14-Oct-2012

Lake Maggiore, Lake Orta & The Borromeo Islands

I'm surprised and shocked that a professional travel company have not replied or phoned me in connection with my complaint in regards to our experience on the Lake Maggiore Holiday , i dont regard this feedback as a proper reply to my complaint

We are very sorry that your complaint has not been dealt with. After looking through our records we cannot locate any correspondence from you. A member of our team will be in contact with you immediately.

Tuscany Walking Holiday - Original tour

professional and good value

Supersaver - The Venetian Riviera, Lido di Jesolo

good value holiday. Rep.very good.
would use travel dept.again.

Budapest City Break

Very good service, usually book over phone and everyone been very friendly and helpful.

12-Oct-2012

The Algarve Luxury Break

I found The Travel Department staff courteous and very efficient re booking this holiday. I would rate the holiday as one of the better holidays I have enjoyed in recent years. The hotel location was superb but not the standard of a 5* Hotel in Ireland.
Our guide was very knowledgeable about the Algarve but slightly aloof.

12-Oct-2012

Tenerife Coast & Country

We find travelling with the Travel Dept. is the best holiday for us. Everything is organised and we don't have to waste time looking for places to visit. They have everything down to a fine detail and we have travelled with them many times.