Monarch Airlines Reviews

Consumer ratings of Monarch Airlines

Feedback for www.monarch.co.uk has been compiled from 591360 Customer Reviews

• 18/11/2013
  • Monarch offers flights to Europe from five UK airports and is committed to providing a quality service, with experienced, professional staff.

Good
Bad

DateProductRatingCustomer ReviewReply from www.monarch.co.uk
22-Jan-2016

Monarch flight ZB235

We were seated in seats 2D&E.
There were a lady and gentleman sat in row 3 B&C, just as the plane was about to start taxing, the cabin crew did there final check of the plane, ensuring that all seat belts were secure and window blinds were up, when the air stewardess was on her way back to the front of the aircraft, she stopped to speak with the people located in Row 3 B&C who were complaining about there seats. The stewardess was joined by another stewardess wearing a name badge 'Vanessa'. Vanessa spoke with the people and said that the man could move into the window seat if his seat was not comfortable. The man complained that the seat had a spring that was positioned in the middle of the seat and is was uncomfortable, and stated that the window seat was the same. The unnamed stewardess said it was a bit strange as the plane was a new one. Vanessa said that there were only 97 people on board and they would find them alternative seats if necessary, as this was not a problem.

The couple remained in seats 3 B&C.

Vanessa approached the lady in Row 1D and said she could moved in the the window seat if she wanted to. The crew were ensuring that all people on board were comfortable.

The plane started to taxi and we had to wait for a plane to come in to land before we could depart. The Pilot said Cabin Crew seat for takeoff and seated at the front of the plane on her own was Vanessa.

The plane started its ascent and as the wheels left the runway, one of the metal containers came of the its holder and crashed onto the floor, and stopped by row 2, my husband who was seated in seat 2D, stopped the container and secured it in front of seat 2c {empty seat}. At no time did the container reach row 3.

This incident was a complete accident and not an malicious act by any one.

The people in seats 3 B&C stayed saying things to which my husband turned to them and said it was nobody's fault and was a accident.

As soon as the cabin crew were released Vanessa ensured that the man in 1D and my husband were OK {which they both were. The container did not come into contact with anybody}.

The people in 3 B&C were determined to make more of this incident then necessary, and Vanessa went to speak with them, to apologise about the incident. They were very vocal about making a compliant. Vanessa took their details.

Vanessa was visibly upset by this incident and by the way she was spoken to {the couple were extremely rude and offensive in their time}. I was not going to stand by and watch someone upset, I approached Vanessa and told her not to allow the couple to upset her as they were in the wrong, I also wanted to offer my support.

Throughout the rest of the flight the cabin crew continued with their excellent service, ensuring that their flight were comfortable and content.

I feel I have to write this in support of Monarch cabin crew, and I feel Vanessa was unduly singled out by these people for no reason {accidents happen}, and I don't feel that anyone has the right to upset anther person for no apparent reason.

06-May-2014

Your booking experience

Everything was fine about the initial booking, service at the airport and on the plane, hence the good rating, however, one comment I would make was around a need to rebook the return flight, which prevents me from rating excellent.

Whilst we were away my daughter got chicken pox. A few days before we were due to come back it seemed unlikely that we would be able to fly on the scheduled date so I went online to try and change the flight but your website suggested this wasn't possible as we were already checked in.

I wasn't aware that I'd checked in for the return flight (I'd checked in for the outward journey - does that automatically check you in for the return at the same time?) so I rang your helpline and the lady I spoke to confirmed we were checked in and therefore we'd have to rebook new flights, ie we couldn't just pay the £40 per person amendment fee.

As we weren't certain at that stage when we may be able to fly I didn't do anything about the flight but waited till the day of departure. We saw the doctor the morning of our scheduled departure and he confirmed my daughter was unable to fly that day, but may be OK in 72 hours.

At that stage, due to my conversation with your lady a few days earlier, I was under the impression that we were checked in to the flight that night, therefore as we wouldn't be flying I thought it courteous to ring you to say although we're checked in we wouldn't be flying due to my daughter having chicken pox.

When I rang your helpline to tell you this, this time I was told that whilst the system shows us as being checked in, we could be un-checked and we could rearrange the flight with the £40 per person admin fee. Why didn't the lady a few days earlier say this as she left me the impression that we'd lose the full amount of money of the original flights and would have to pay the full amount to book new flights?

Therefore when you're lady said we could rebook I booked us onto a flight three days later thinking we'd be OK to travel then.

On the rearranged date of the flight unfortunately the doctor said we still couldn't fly. Again I rang your helpline to say we wouldn't be on the flight that evening, but this time the lady said that's fine and she would leave a credit on the account for the value of the flights we'd paid for and to just ring when we could fly.

Points I'm trying to make:-

1) One lady says we can't be unchecked but another one does
2) One lady says due to medical reasons she can put a credit on the account to leave the return date open pending confirmation of when we can fly but another one doesn't mention this, even though I said my daughter had chicken pox, leaving to me to guess that we would be able to fly three days later, when as it happened we couldn't.

If I'd been told in the first place that we could be unchecked and that we could have a credit on the account pending the doctor's confirmation that we could fly then that would have taken a lot of uncertainty and hence worry about the whole situation.

15-Aug-2014

Your booking experience

As a regular flyer with Monarch Airlines I have had a number of these feefo questionnaires and whilst my response has been consistent and the replies likewise the points I, and many others make, are just not being addressed. There seems little point to me in paying for a feedback firm to analyse customers comments if firstly Monarch do little or nothing about it and secondly why pay feefo for this feedback when the majority of comments are out there in the public domain (I am aware there is a Monarch Complaints Facebook Page!) and are so repetitive?.

So you realise what I refer to I list three examples:-

• The necessity to book and pay for a seat so as to avail yourself of free* on-line check in. Of course it isn't free as it is another way to extract more money from your customers. So the reply from Monarch is "...... However we are looking at removing the seat selection page from online check in therefore removing the charge." They have been looking into this for months to my knowledge!
• No airline likes delays as it costs them money however Monarch have more than most and their standard reply is " I am very sorry to hear about the delay on your flight and the inconvenience this caused. Please be assured we try to minimise the delays as we know how frustrating this can be". Of course they try to minimise however what they do not do is look after their customers correctly both during delay and post delay when they complain. Monarch talk of having airport representatives but these staff just disappear when things get 'tough', likewise their handling agents.
• The new seating just isn't up to the standard of the Recaro seats that their competitors use. They have mentioned extra padding so they know there is/was a problem but the standard response is " I am sorry to read that you found the seating uncomfortable. I have passed your comments to our Cabin Standards Team so that they know what our customers think of the new seats." Surely it is about time the CST did something about this matter.

So having submitted my missive via this feefo feedback I then receive an email saying I can withdraw my two red ratings if I wish to leave further feedback on my reply ....but I do not .....or I can email customers services - which I have but get the same replies (if at all) as the above! I hear Monarch are undergoing a strategic review in order to compete with the other budget airlines. In my opinion you have left it to late - you would be better distancing yourself from the cheaper end and providing a better service that they do and you currently supply.

12-Feb-2015

Your booking experience

Up to 4 years ago flying was not a problem when it came to booking a flight to where ever we wanted to go to. Then my partener of 28 years had a medical problem resulting in him having his leg amputated and hip joint removed which left him totally disabled. I was determined that this would not stop us from taking our holiday's abroad (usually Bodrum Turkey) 4 hours flight is the furthest he can fly in his condition. We did try another well known firm for 1 week , they had no concept of what we needed,although I spoke to one of their advisers for 20 mins. We did book with them, the hotel was good but the flight was a nightmare. My partener is totally eMobile so he needs his wheelchair at all times ,he can transfer from one chair to another. When we got to airport for our flight out they had nothing on the computer to say he was disabled. They had to find an on board wheelchair to take him onboard than we waited for the plane to fill before they took us on,his seat was right at the back of the plane which was a disturbance for fellow passengers . When we reached Our destination they could not find his Wheelchair,it had been left back home in Birmingham airport ! We waited 2 day's to get it back. Although the Chair was not lost on the way back we had the same problems as we had in countered on the way there.
I was not prepared to go through that experience again so I looked up Monarch and their flight's on the Internet . Then I rang an adviser for Monarch and ran through with them exactly what my partener's needs were. She was absolutely briiliant, she talked me through the booking from start to finish,giving me peace of mind . We could not ask for anything more. Booking in is plain sailing for us ,my suitcases were taken from me at the front of the queue, a porter pushed my partener to the departure gate,then taken to the plane and transferred him into an onboard chair ,then into his seat at the front of the plane . Wheelchair was tagged and put in the hold. When we arrived in Turkey we were complemented with the same treatment.
It made life so much more easier for me because I was not getting stressed out and my partener was pleased because I was not stressed and he enjoyed the whole airport,flight experience with Monarch. We book with Monarch all the time now,they have all the needs my disabled partener requires for a safe easy flight.
Monarch staff have alway's given my partener 100% respect for his disabilty and we both thank them whole heartedly for making travelling with them a pleasurable one.

04-May-2014

To Your Helpdesk

I am sure that you spend a great deal of time placating irate Monarch customers who for some reason or another have failed to understand or follow or understand your customer service desk personel.

I actually thought that I would have to make contact with you as I tried in vane yesterday evening to talk to one of your representatives trying to explain that I had travelled from New Zealand to Spain as quickly as I could as my father was seriuosly ill and subsquently died before we landed in Spain. I therefore did not use my original tickets purchased for early June but did require to change my original return tickets to Birningham so I could return to the UK and then back to New Zealand.

Well this is where the problem started. To cut a very long story short and for me a difficult conversation I was informed that no this could not be done and anyway how was I in Spain as I had not travelled there yet !!!!. There was no refund but I could be issued with a credit note, but as I live in New Zealand a credit note is as much use to me as ..............lets say cows have them but bulls do not require them or have no use for them, A bit like a a Monarch credit note for the other side of the world.

All I wanted was to fly back to the UK so I could retuen to NZ. Given the circumstances and the fact that you already had my cash, not too much to ask. But no, the software programme or the Monarch procedures said I was not in Spain. Yes I was as I had just buried my father. I will have to talk to my supervisor. Can I call you back.............well no call as you may imagine

Then along came Bilkiss. I phoned your helpdesk again from Spain to see if I could extract some common sense, sadly lacking from my previuos conversation. I was not expecting a great deal. However I could not have been further from the truth. She was not only helpful but was able to suggest and resolve issues in a way that I could not or did not even consider.

I must compliment her not only on her sensitivity, her abilities to resolve problems but also her customer service attitude. In my experience it is extremely rare to find somebody as capable as this, Make sure you do hang onto this talent. It makes a complete change from the usual helpdesk that you have to deal with i.e the first one and for that reason alone I am more than delighted to rate your company.

I am more than delighted to say it was a real pleasure to deal with her and I only wish there were more like her on service desks.

23-Nov-2016

Your booking experience

I was not happy to find when I arrived at checkin at Manchester to be told that my seat was changed due to plane being full and needing to seat a large group together, even though I was changed from 16f to 9f once I was on board I noticed that the flight had some empty seats near my original choice. I was also asked to put my cabin bag in the hold, which I did but wasn't happy about it. The flight itself was good and service was excellent. On my return journey the flight was good apart from having my cabin bag again put in the hold. Service was excellent and we even landed half an hour earlier, which I was pleased with. I was quickly through passport control and made my way to collect my suitcase and cabin bag. When I got there the luggage was already coming out. I saw my cabin bag and collected it then waited for my suitcase. I waited until there were no baggage left and then asked someone who to speak to, they told me to go to lost baggage desk. I went and a member of staff told me that my suitcase wasn't on the flight that it was still in Alicante airport. I asked why and was told that when I checked it in, it went on the conveyor but "apparently" got stuck in the tunnel, and they didn't realise until my flight had gone. I don't relally believe this as my smaller case went directly behind it, and if it had been stuck how come my other case and other peoples cases managed to go through. Surely the cases would have all backed up behind mine. I gave my details and was told that my suitcase was being put on the last flight out of Alicante to Manchester on Sunday 20 November and I would have it couriered to my house on the Monday morning. I then went home not happy. On the Monday I had to go to work at 3:15pm but I waited in all morning and then my mum came to wait in until I got home at 10:30pm. I got home to find that it still hadn't been delivered, so I was lied too as I had checked and there had been no flight on the Sunday evening but there was a flight on the Monday afternoon, I couldn't understand why I had not received it. I eventually got my case on Tuesday 22 November at 9:00am which was not acceptable really. In my case I had a birthday present for someone whose birthday was on the Monday, other gifts for people and my personal belongings, I believe my case may have been on a differs flight and that's why it took 2 days to be sent to me. Like I said the flight itself was comfortable, good service, the loss of my suitcase was my main problem.

18-Aug-2014

Your booking experience

This is my experience form a recent flight from Larnaca to Manchester.
I emailed Monarch informing them of my experience on the 6th August (12 days ago) but have yet to receive a reply.

I recently booked a flight from Larnaca to Manchester for Sunday 3 August (JY9V6N). I made the reservation by phone, i specifically asked to leave on Sunday and was told there was a flight leaving on Sunday so i booked it.
It was not made clear to me that it was 10 minutes after midnight on Saturday.
I feel this should have been made clear so as to avoid any confusion, as i know for a fact now that many of your customers have been 'no shows' in the past for previous flights departing at exactly the same time.
Any reasonable person when booking a flight that is due to leave on a Sunday would expect to go to the airport on Sunday and not on Saturday.

What adds to the confusion is the date on the boarding card that i printed.

It states that the 'Travel Date' is 03/08/14 and that the 'Gate Closes' at 23:25 and that the 'Flight Departs' is 00:10. I read this as the Gate closes at 23:25 on the 03/08/14 (which is what is written).
What ACTUALLY should be written is 'Travel Date' is 03/08/14 and that the 'Gate 'Closes' at 23:25 ON SATURDAY 02/08/14 and that the 'Flight Departs' is 00:10. The 'Gate Closes' and 'Flight Departs' are actually on 2 different days.

It should be clear that the flight leaves at 10 past midnight on Saturday.

This resulted in me arriving at the airport 24 hrs late. My cousin and her husband also made the same mistake but managed to pay and get on a Thomas Cook flight back to Manchester. I know for a fact that others arrived 24 hrs late too. Please check for yourselves how many 'No Shows' you had on that flight and you will see it wasn't just me.
Your flight details need to be clearer.

In fact they are so misleading that when i arrived at the airport 24 hrs late and showed my boarding card at security they let me through, i had my bag scanned and went through the metal detectors all the way to duty free!!!!
I can prove this with a receipt for items i purchased there.
I was eventually escorted out of the secure area and back into the airport terminal where i had to make my way back home.

I called the next day and with much debating managed to avoid buying a new ticket back to Manchester.
I ended up paying £67.43 to change my ticket which i would like refunded and is the least you can do for the inconvenience.

26-Jul-2016

Your booking experience

While our flight was fine I'm very disappointed at the kind of service we recieved. In light of low cost holidays going bust our flight was apparently cancelled IN SPITE OF THE FACT that we physically called you guys to check our flights were still okay and you telling us that they were fine. Understandably you cant control whether lowcost pay you or not but you displayed some serious negligence and in fact down right incompetence on 2 accounts. The first would be the fact we called monarch to check our flights were okay and you told us they were fine, pardon my abruptness, but it doesn't take an adverse level of intellect to read from a screen to see if the flights are okay. Secondly the fact you called us a day before to tell us that this was no longer the case is downright absurd. Surely as a business some alarm bells are raised when you have saved seats for someone and it comes to a mere day before the flight for you to realise you haven't been paid... I'm no business expert but surely thats not the most intelligent business model. If someone came to me and said oh hi mate save me some seats I'll pay you a day before, I'd laugh. There's a maraud of customers that I'd pick from who would give me payment to secure those seats. I dont get it. And if that wasn't enough we found out that a group of 6 girls in the same predicament as us on the exact same flight sitting in similar seats only paid £250 each where as me and my friend payed £450 each... Explain that to me? We both payed on the exact same day only difference is there a group of girls who cried a bit at reception. why were they allowed to pay less then us and why was I refused the right to negotiate the price of the seats but they weren't ? I expect to be compensated to at least the same level that they were if not more. I will await a response from you as I'd love to hear a valid rebuttal. It's not as though any of the points i have made are invalid. I accept that Lowcost didn't pay you and I accept that thats beyond your control so don't misinterpret my point. What i am incredibly distressed about is your level of incompetence and inability to communicate with your customers as well as your lack of consistency and flexibility in providing a happy alternative. I.e the girls were compensated but we were not...

29-Apr-2015

Your booking experience

Hi, boking system simple to use,.

Initially I thought the price included baggage and then discovered it did not. I was not confindent that I am not paying twice for baggage as the relevant option for the basic fare did not have any further information and there is no FAQ available during the booking process which would allow me to check as I went thru the booking process

So, I worked out that he basic fare probably did not include baggage because the next level up only included 23kgs... and less than that would be a joke..

So definitely an area where info would be useful during the booking process. After all, if Monarch are confident that the basic price id for a relevant and wanted product, they should have the confidence to make it clear.

The bundled approach to upgrading from basic to the next level of service meant that I am paying for things I don't want.. for example, I don't recall having to pay for seats the last time I travelled with Monarch.. It is not obvious to me that I could travel to Turkey on a plane and not have a seat.... so to make me pay for a seat is creates a very negative impression. Why can't you just allocate seats when people book and allow customers to pay more if you offer a better class of seat on a proportion of the plane?

One of the known issues with Monarch is the poor quality of the seating - on the same route Easy Jet (not known for their charitable approach) offer better seating...

Getting thru the other unwanted add-on's was not too bad. Previously, it was possible to accidentally add unwanted insurance hotels or car hire and get into difficulty unwinding the choices, so that is an improvement.

When I got to the end of the booking process I expected an immediate banner to tell me that the booking was confirmed and the confirmation would be emailed. It took a while for me to find this reassuring information. The email confirmation took ages to arrive and I had no printer attached to the computer used for the booking. I solved it for myself by cutting and pasting the relevant parts of the screen into an email to myself and the other travellers.

Overall, better than last year. Still some very obvious improvements needed to user friendliness of the booking process screens.

02-Jul-2014

Your booking experience

Hi, I had to phone customer services from Spain to change a double booking which was an error by Monarchs website, lady called Bhismal dealt with it she was so proficient with the problem and money was refunded back to our bank account within days, she also dealt with my query regarding my airmiles unfortunately I had lost 3,000 air miles which I am not happy with as Monarch had not told me they had to be claimed within 3 years, but she did inform me I had gathered more air miles for one way and I needed to claim these by August, many thanks to Bhismal. Once in England I again phoned Monarch even trying major switchboard it took 4 hours to eventually get through due to the Air France strike everyone was ringing, I was already booked to fly on my usual 7.15am flight and had checked Monarchs site and knew where I was up to I just wanted to book my free flight with Monarch before I left just unfortunate it was the same day when many hundreds of people thought they would block the lines, Monarch sent me a mail the night before my flight at 10am to say were still flying just come earlier to the airport, at airport ground staff were efficient and we had no problems, only thing was different route took extra hour and flight take off delayed extra hour we flew via Southern Ireland, but at least we arrived in Alicante. I have always booked Monarch as they are reliable with schedules, saying that the Easy Jet flight at lunch time flew over France as did the Ryan Air from east midlands, but there you go. Can you please tell cabin crew if we are on the runway and delayed with take off, its not a hot sweat from the menopause its because were gasping with the heat and I think ALL passengers should be given a glass of water, they know the cabin air heat is great until we're in the air. not really a moan about the girls as they are all lovely and friendly. kind regards ps free flight was booked for my Christmas visit, but previously I booked my flight to UK for August which could of been free, never mind always a next time. pps Could Monarch add to the website what type of foods can be taken in hand luggage as the buffoons who wanted to know if they could take frozen bacon etc., would make the phone queue less.

16-May-2014

Your booking experience

HOWEVER, CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE GROUND CHECKING IN WAS EXCELLENT, YOUR STAFF MEMBER DID GO THE 'EXTRA' MILE IN EVERY SENSE OF THE SAYING, TO BE HELPFUL TO ME, BY OFFERING TO CHECK IN MINE AND MY COMPANIONS BAGS FOR FREE, AND TO OUR SURPRISE SHE ALSO TOLD US SHE HAD BEEN LOOKING OUT FOR ME WHEN WE GOT TO THE BOARDING GATE, (I AM REGISTERED BLIND.) SHE TOOK ALL MY NEEDS INTO CONSIDERATION. SO OUTWARDS I WAS HAPPY. UNFORTUNATELY RETURNING RIGHT UPTO BEING TRANSPORTED ONTO THE PLANE WAS EXCELLENT, HOWEVER YOUR FLIGHT CREW RETURNING LET ME DOWN WITH ONE VERY IMPORTANT STEP, ONE CREW MEMBER WAS THOROUGH EXPLAINING THE EMERGENCY PROCEDURE & MY OPTIONS, HOWEVER IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF THEY ASKED ME WHEN I GOT ON THE PLANE OR BEFORE LANDING IF I WOULD REQUIRE ASSISTANCE. IT WASN'T UNTILL THE PLANE LANDED AND PEOPLE WERE OFF LOADING I WAS ASKED DO YOU WANT ASSISTANCE? THE REASON I RAISE THIS, IS BECAUSE WHEN I DEPARTED UK TO LANZAROTE YOUR CREW MEMBER ON THE PLANE MET ME AT THE PLANE DOOR ENTRANCE, AND ASKED ALL THE NECESSARY QUESTIONS INCLUDING SUGGESTING HE CALL AHEAD TO ARRECIFE AND HAVE MY ASSISTANCE ARRANGED AND WAITING FOR WHEN THE FLIGHT LANDED. THE INCONVENIENCE OF YOUR CREW ASKING THIS QUESTION WHEN THE PLANE HAS LANDED IS THE WAITING TIME FOR THE PASSENGER TO THEN WAIT TILL ASSISTANCE CAN GET TO ME, WHILST EVERYONE ELSE HAS LEFT THE PLANE. PLUS I WAS TOTALLY IGNORED FOR AT LEAST 15MINS WHILST THE PLANE WAS ON THE GROUND & EVERYONE ELSE WAS RUSHING OFF THE PLANE, WHICH WITH MY DISABILITY WAS QUITE UNSETTLING. I WILL ALSO MENTION THAT OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAD ASKED FOR ASSISTANCE WERE ALSO IGNORED, AND ONE LADY SHOUTED UP, AND ANOTHER MAN HAD TO GO ASK A CREW MEMBER FOR SOMEONE ELSE. YOUR STAFF WERE NOT BUSY AT THE TIME, THEY WERE SAYING GOODBYE TO THOSE ABLE TO LEAVE THE PLANE. I HAVE ASKED SOMEONE TO TYPE THIS FOR ME, DUE TO MY SIGHT LOSS, MY FLIGHT NO. WAS ZB458 LEAVING 26/4/14 @ 13:50(THE CHECK IN LADY & CREW WERE FABULOUS) AND THE RETURN FLIGHT WAS ZB459 @ 19.45 6/5/14, I'M AFRAID THESE CREWE MEMBER'S CAUSED ME SOME DISTRESS, YOUR CREWE ON THE WAY OUT REALLY SET THE STANDARD HIGH. IT WAS A MALE CREWE MEMBER WITH AN ACCENT THAT SET THE STANDARD. THANK YOU MY NAME IS *personal data removed by Feefo*

30-Jan-2016

Your booking experience

Booking was good, staff friendly. Staff in Agadir seemed less focused. They placed us in separate seats at either end of the plane 5 and 24. So we then had to be moved as the plane wasn't full. People were not being told to get on at the front or the rear so rather chaotic during seating. Might be worth looking into.

The worst part of the flights both to and from were the 'drunk muslim boys'. (At least a third of the flight numbers) They were drinking their own vodka on the flight, being very rude to staff (Very sexual comments to the stewardess on outbound flight) and passengers, generally loud, listening to music on their phones without earphones etc. One even took a call as we left the runway in Manchester! Another was taking selfies on the runway when we landed and being shouted at by the staff, and another guy was on his phone while stood under the plane. Several were then in confrontational arguments with the passport control as well.

They are a danger to the rest of the passengers as they were in some cases falling down drunk. Not an acceptable set of circumstances in any way to me and I and several other people on the plane came very close to having to deal with these guys as your staff seemed somewhat over powered by it all.

We have been told by a friend who flew out in December on the same flight that he had exactly the same experience and we also spoke at length with your staff, who said they have a lot of trouble with this flight and it was not a one off. They also said drugs was a common issue. I feel very sorry for them and to be honest we think it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

We are flying out on the same flight again on the 23rd Feb '16 and if we see the same pattern of passenger behaviour we will be filming it and sending it to the CAA as an official complaint. Not to blame Monarch, but to highlight this is an issue with what we can only assume is a certain demographic who 'don't drink at home with the family' according to what we could pick up on from conversation. However these lads are then going off on a secret drinking holiday with their pals and overdoing it in a big way.

25-Sep-2015

Your booking experience

I would like to thank the crew on the flight ZB279 (Flying Out - Barcelona to London Gatwick Monday 14 Sep 15 | Departing 10:50 | Arrive 12:25), these are Francesca; Adrian and Katie for all their concern about me.

I had such a stressful morning (due to a health issue of my family) that almost made me missed my flight. I left home (Barcelona) without knowing anything about of the situation or if it would be a major health issue, etc. I was really worried and I was starting to burst into tears. The aircraft was crowded and I asked Katie if she could move me to a place with no people beside me (no matters where). I was aware that it would be difficult, there were people everywhere. When everybody boarded and we were waiting to start moving, Katie came along to tell me that I could be sat in the four row with one lady in the aisle, so I could sit beside the window. I moved there, and then Francesca helped me out. She was keeping an eye on me since I was getting upset. Additionally Adrian came to offer me water; coffee, etc. During the flight, I talked to Adrian and Francesca. Francesca exchanged with me a similar experience, and the fact that she understood how I was feeling, made me feel more relax. Adrian helped me take my suitcase from row 30 and asked me if somebody was waiting for me outside. I answered him that I would take the coach, but I would go to call first to be able to relax. I did not have too much contact to Katie since she was helping out to watch the end of the aircraft. The crew looked after me during the whole journey. I just wanted to say thank you to three of you and also, to the rest of the crew who I did not have the opportunity to talk to. I may also say that this particularly trip had several turbulences. I do not like them since I feel dizzy and my stomach turns. I felt a little bit nervous, but overall the fact that the crew was so comforting helped me go through. I hope I have the opportunity to flight again with all of you. Regarding the health issue, it has been a very long ten days since I came to London, but things seem better. MANY MANY THANKS

17-May-2014

Your booking experience

We always prefer to fly Monarch as the seats are comfy and there's a little more room. The booking experience is frustrating and made complicated I feel in a way to
Make it so elongated that you wouldn't want to look at other sites ( but like anybody else I will anyway, not to get the best deal I can but just to make sure I am not say £ 50 out. The experience would be enhanced if you were upfront and clear and I believe you would get more bookings because it was simple, clear and intuitive. ie a few bold bullet points... Great so your booking your flights
Let's make this easy - Your will select your dates and we'll give you a price - Additional options will be added in this order - list the order.. Choose a seat -Add a bag - book food - your tax we gave to add will be at this stage - etc What really annoys me us things like what seat would you like Standard £ xxx or better £ xxx I said to my we ide oh I'll have a non standard please at £ 0 cost... I have to have a seat don't I ? ... So why identify the cost if a standard seat.... Very annoying...and finally be clearer about checking in procedure... Once you have booked it should come up clearly - Great so now you've booked you will need to confirm your flights (why I have no idea I've just confirmed by booking !? What's this all about ? ) There are three ways to do his... 1 Online x days before travel 2 at the airport, queue and cgeck in on the day if your flight with a £ 50 fee... Why not be clear and upfront... This tucked away information is not ethical practice Overall what I am saying is that you do not make the transaction clear or easy fir the consumer and I feel if you were the one airline thatvdud you would gain more business. Look how the Credit card firms gave changed their automated voice call handling... Simple voice /clear options / you need to improve... Most people I speak to love your flights but hate every airlines booking process - listen to your customers... If one airline made it simple I would change.. I would also like a regular flyer discount too even if only 5%

27-Jun-2014

Your booking experience

This Excellent rating is due to one member of your staff, Joti in preflight internet queries. It proves the forgotten fact. Your business IS your people.

Sadly, my close friend died recently. I live in Spain, North of Alicante, and he lived in Amiens in Northern France. I needed to get to his funeral last Tuesday morning at short notice. However last Monday I had an important meeting with my lawyer and could not fly until Monday afternoon. I went online to book a flight from Alicante to Luton. I was distressed. I became further distressed when I found that, choosing to book an evening flight with Monarch, I had inadvertently chosen a flight the following day, Tuesday. This meant I would fly after the funeral !! I found I could not undo my booking error. I could not phone Monarch because 08 numbers cannot be contacted from Spain! Fortunately my partner found an old Monarch magazine which gave a normal landline number for the publisher. She phoned them and persuaded them to give us a normal landline for Monarch.
I phoned this number and eventually spoke to Jyoti. She tried everything possible but there were no flights on Monday pm to Luton. Then she had the idea of a Birmingham flight. I had to get to the funeral. There was the added reality of the train strike which meant I could not realistically fly to Paris and take a train.
I cannot praise Jyoti enough. She booked me there and then on the Birmingham flight VDRCMH flight 493, dep 1905 arr 2050. And she waived additional charges normally incurred for a flight transfer. Please find some way to recognise her.
I arrived on time, my friend collected me at Birmingham, drove me to Herts where I picked up my car from home and drove overnight through the Eurotunnel to arrive in time for the funeral at 10 am, which proved to be a remarkable celebration of my friend's life.
LESSON FOR MONARCH.
1.They must publicise normal UK landline numbers for connections for use overseas.
2.They should allow half an hour to undo, without charges, a booking made in error.

*Personal details removed by Feefo*

13-Jan-2014

Vantage No.2100191430
For many years I have been a gold card member, travelling circa 50+ times a year with monarch where possible. I had a problem with monarch when there was period when we were be farmed to third party airlines, that were not too the monarch standard with no advantages, also december 2012, I had hand luggage removed from me at the gate and charged £50 for the pleasure, for being over-sized, being a pilots case I fail to see why, it would have fitted in measure, but only with slight force and didnt want to get it stuck, this case I have travelled with monarch at least 100+ time prior to this, I told the staff that if I was charged then you can keep my vantage card, they coulndnt careless. In the bag was a nikon camera, apple laptop and many other high valuable items, the bag was safely on conveyor at AGP, but could have been a problem, I have also requested a refund for a previous booking (H7TK6T ) that I couldnt make and was told that I needed to pay a re-booking fee, and that the booking in future would have to be used by the card holder, I used an elderly relatives card for convience at the time.
I still travel as frequently as ever, but using other airlines, I still rate monarch as top of the list to travel with, but I am a bit of a bone head and therefore like to be right, as I treat my customers.
Over the years I have continued to promote Monarch to fellow travellers, so it comes difficult for me to stop using monarch, but as of the end of january I will no longer have a vantage card and therefore less reason to travel.
All my bookings are now booking through skyscanner app on my phone.
I did consider emailing your MD Kevin George, as I had been invited to attend a couple of lunches at Hilton Hotels Luton and Birmingham last year, to give him this feedback.
Maybe you will forward these comments to him.
I have just used monarch over the christams break to and from AGP, the first time in a long while, endured no problems, Please note that I have always found the technical and cabin crew excellent.

Best regards

Phil Eldridge

28-Aug-2014

Your booking experience

Despite flying with Monarch on a weekly basis, sometimes twice a week, and receiving your many feedback requests landing (sharp to time) in my phenomenally busy inbox, I have never really been the type to conform to such feedback practices......perhaps due to the aforementioned inbox! But also because I am a fussy madam with very high standards in service and prefer to say nothing at all than to criticise where I (often) see fit.

However, I must make a very special mention here to a lovely lady by the name of Trina, who I believe heads up the cabin crew. Just to be sure, she is a jolly lady, incredibly young looking for her mature years, with a nice tan and a twinkle in her eye.

It was owing (almost entirely) to Trina's fabulous service and real genuine warmth onboard that I have continued to book my frequent flights through Monarch. Until now I didn't look beyond my normal carriers. Now, I am an avid Monarch fan. Trina (and her colleague on one particular flight Trish also deserves a mention) has actually made me look forward to flying again. I have never been one to stick to a certain brand but she has me hooked.

Not only was her welcome top class and as life-altering as that (believe you me, a break from the easyjet drivel and its lifeless staff has MORE than made my summer) but the second time I was on one of Trina's flights not only did she remember me but she also remembered what I liked to drink and also whether I would require a particular meal. Now THAT'S service.

And let's be clear here. I am a woman of 37 years, I am a tad scruffy because I live in the country and I am generally disorganised, requiring help and not too excited about flying yet again! So if I, in that state, can be greeted with the warmth, help, concern and actual joy (yes, actual joy!) that Trina showed then may I say you are INCREDIBLY lucky as a company to have her onboard. She is an asset to Monarch and is genuinely changing things for the better from the inside out.

Please reward her accordingly!

Best regards
Alison Robbins

02-Oct-2014

Your booking experience

Well, I'd like to say that I've got a subscription with Monarch to receive its offers on flights. So I got an email offering me sales for £34.99 for travel from 26th September to 26th March and that sales will end by the 2nd October 2014.

My experience was that I tried to by a ticket on Tuesday (30th September) from the App, leaving 27th October and return 3rd November. So I completed all steps to buy the flight but when I arrived to the payment the application sent me a 'Payment validation error', I checked all my card details and I tried again twice, but still didn't work.
I called you but to contact with someone was too long, and as my break at work was almost finished I had to leave the issue at that moment.

Next day, I was off, so I called you to explain the problem and a kind gentleman sort the booking out for me, without any extra charge. I paid for the ticket £206.98, what I didn't think was an special offer, but I needed to buy it anyway.

Around half an hour later, I received an email from Monarch asking me if I had any problem that I didn't complete my booking and that the price of the flight that I was trying to buy was "£163.76"!
So at that point I was confuse. I didn't understand why now the ticket was £43.22 cheaper and why they didn't give me this price before but once I'd already payed it.

So I called back again, explaining that, and another very kind lady took note of this and told me she was to tell it to her boss, and that I would be replayed as soon as possible. I didn't get any answer yet. Although for this I don't mind to wait 'a bit' more.
I like flying with your company, and I found very kind and attentive all the members of your staff that I met, however I think it's necessary to solve this kind of issues which cost to customers an extra time and cost on phone calls.

I also would like to suggest to study the possibility of check-in online, without choosing a seat and the electronic ticket.

Thank you for this opportunity.

14-Jun-2016

Your booking experience

On Saturday morning I was looking at flights. I chose my outbound and return flight (I had to do this a couple of times because the pages kept refreshing without me prompting it to and taking me back to the homepage). I got all the way through to the final stage of booking, put my card details in and made one final check to my booking. I noticed that somehow the wrong day had been selected for my outbound flight. I presume this was down to the fact the pages kept refreshing and somehow changed my flight option. I was just about to alter this when (again!) the page went blank and a timer wheel appeared. The page then just stayed blank after this so I presumed it had cancelled my selections all over again as I had not pressed confirm yet. 15 minutes later or so I received a booking confirmation!!! For something I hadn't confirmed. Immediately I tried to call the helpline which was still closed as it was Saturday morning. As soon as 9am hit, I called again. I patiently waited and when I got through the young boy on the other end of the phone was polite but was obviously just reading from a script. I asked to speak to his manager who I hoped would assist me further. After begging for her not to call me back but actually speak to me there and then, she finally spoke to me. She was nothing but rude. She insisted it was all my fault, wasn't interested in hearing my side of the story and made sarcastic comments about the fact they didn't know of any faults so I must have pressed confirm. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm the customer here and should have my voice heard and my issue be dealt with appropriately. Due to her lack of care and offer to amend the situation, I asked to speak to her superior. I was told he wouldn't be in until Monday and he would call me at some point throughout the day. I did not receive a call. I'm hoping this may catch someone's attention and the issue that monarch have caused be dealt with in a fair and appropriate way!
What shocking service, it's really quite disgusting. I demand a refund or I will be taking this further!!

10-Feb-2014

Your booking experience

Booking entries were straightforward, but I found the tabs offering ' Essentials pack' and ' Extra ' on the opening page were irritating, as it left me wondering whether I would have 20 or 23 kg luggage allowance as there were references to extra being ' free'. In fact nothing is ' free - you pay extra for the extras, which is what I expected, and it was clear once the prices were listed in grid form. Reading the different tab dropdown menus made what was essentially a very easy process a little more time-consuming.

It was very helpful to have flights for different days and their prices displayed , so I knew if flying earlier or later would make much difference.

It is also still fairly deceptive to give a headline figure for the cost of a flight, but by the time luggage and seat selection is chosen, ( and one feels almost bullied into choosing seats at a very significant extra cost) it is so much more. It is manipulative of the airline, to give the impression that your seat might be away from those you are travelling with, unless one pre-books - it gives the impression it is just a real money-maker, however fair and honest it is. ( Yes I know that sometimes it is necessary to split people and have had that experience.)
And why should having a seat number before one travels cost more??? What can possibly be the admin cost of clicking a button, allocating a seat to the number of passengers travelling?
I would still rather be charged the headline fee, even though it might be more, than have all these so called extras, which are really essentials, added on as one goes through the process.

The process of booking itself was straightforward and quick, until all the hangers on were introduced : insurance, hotel stays, car hire etc. One should be directed to a different site for the extras after the process of booking the flights has been completed, so it takes less time, or one can come back to those later, in the knowledge that at least the flight was booked.

08-Oct-2015

Your booking experience

I was booking a large group of people going to Portugal next year, 2016, 3 generations. Some of our party are only going for 4 days whilst the rest of us are going for 9 days. This was the second time I had phoned, the first time to get a quote, the second time to book the flights...on both occasions the customer service was outstanding, incredibly helpful people, Kelly and Kathy, nothing was too much trouble, I didn't feel rushed or pressured in any way. At one point during the booking process, the phone cut off, I was horrified thinking I would have to phone back and start the process again, but seconds later, Kathy phoned me back, full of apologies, whether it was her phone or mine I am unsure but she put me at ease immediately. She explained everything to me and waited for me to write it down, even though she was going to send me a confirmation email. I asked her many questions, I was getting concerned that I was taking up too much of her time, unfortunately this is the world we live in, everyone is in a rush, but Kathy was just so calm and patient and told me not to worry she would happily answer any questions, concerns I had until I was happy. I paid the deposit and left the conversation extremely calm, happy and confident that I could go back to our group of 32 and equally put their minds at rest and give them all the information they could possibly need.

I have been a huge supporter, of one of the more expensive airlines, for as long as I can remember, luckily for me, they do not release their flight details until 46 weeks before departure, consequently, I decided to phone Monarch as I discovered they had already released their prices for the dates I want, I am so very glad I did. I have flown with Monarch before on a package deal and found them to be good quality but I never even thought about just booking flights with them.

Overall, I am one very happy customer, if I could rate the service above Excellent, I would...Well done Monarch and well done Kelly and Kathy.

20-Nov-2014

Your booking experience

Booking flights with Monarch is always easy online. (I much prefer their actual website to their mobile application though. I find the website more user friendly.) What I dislike is the common practice of advertising what seem like cheap flights but knowing in reality it will be at least twice that price, or significantly more, once you have to add on the luggage charges and any other add-ons. I know this goes for many airlines but in some ways I prefer the days when prices were 'all inclusive'. I also appreciate that times change and now flyers have the opportunity of booking without hold luggage, which is definitely no bad thing at all. One huge negative is that in common with many airlines, Monarch's hold luggage charges have sky rocketed during the last few years. Again, I appreciate that businesses need to look at ways of maximising their profit margins in balance with offering customers an appealing service. However, what I particularly don't appreciate - and would like them to explain so customers can try and understand - is why they charge different baggage prices depending on the route? The differences can vary enormously and not just by a pound or two. More so, I don't understand why they can charge significantly different prices for the same route out and return. For example, if travelling from A to B, it costs £X amount, but B to A will be a different amount altogether, and can be quite significantly so. Does this mean the airlines charging a uniform price such as EasyJet, for example, and which Monarch also used to do have got it right, or is it an airline such as Monarch which reflect fairer pricing? I have my doubts because as I say, it's something Monarch have introduced relatively recently and it would be good to understand why. Otherwise my experience of the actual flights have usually been good over a period of many years. (The one time I had need to contact their Customer Service department though was a very poor and unimpressive experience.) Thank you.

01-Mar-2017

Your booking experience

Refering to website only as I have not flown with them at this stage, I have scored 'good' as the website was fairly straight forward to use, just a few negative experiences. I tried to continue without bags but it would not let me and I couldn't work out what I had to change, as the error note says to click no bags or words to that affect however it turned out I had to click on a symbol of a case which had a '0' on it which was a bit confussing - reading this back seems a bit it obvious but not when you are looking for a tick box it's not. At the seat choosing stage I saw availablle seats as I had used this feature with other airlines before I clicked on a seat, Monarchs and as are some others are chargable - ok, but I then could not uncheck the choosen seat I had to start again with the booking with Monarch. I booked a friend on the same flight as he can not use a pc (he is clueless with IT) and we wanted to keep the payments seperate, this independantly/collectively cost us more just because we booked seperatly - I believe a seat is a seat is a seat so should be the same price as....no? Finally can't you just include one case in the price, a customer can then see the full price 'before' they visit the website and go through all the 'detail filling procedures' - price for weight and use a 'we don't charge for first case' as a marketing selling point - to be told at any til you have to pay another £54 is frustrating and most people need to take a case and check prices regardless - I appreciate add ons has become common knowledge/procedure but it is not customer friendly and customers consequently are over packing (than they would otherwise) hand luggage in the overhead lockers because of this - what percentage of the actual items in these bags are really needed to have access to inflight. I will be maximising my hand luggage and buying and throwing new clothes to save the £54 when I get there as it's more convienant.

06-Dec-2015

Your booking experience

Dear friends at Monarch, I was glad to receive this feedback email as there is a matter of concern. Whilst we have been regular customers of Monarch through student years and for other holidays etc spanning some 6 years now with at least 3 return flights a year across a family of four, I was disappointed with the booking form for the last two tickets I booked for my sons where the system encourages bookings for more than one person for the same flight to be done on same web page. I began the process only to find that whilst had entered the number 2 for two passengers, the system would only allow me to book for one passenger name, yet I was charged for 2 passengers and one passenger was left without a ticket. I had to email Monarch and they asked me to call in as calling in at the exact time of occurrence was not feasible as it was very late in the evening. I called in and I was taken very good care of and your brilliant staff sorted everything out with kindness and politeness etc that we are used to. My concern however is the telephone bill as I was on the telephone on an international call from Cyprus to the UK for around an hour in total after queuing to have the phone call answered. As you can imagine, international phone calls are charged at high rates and I was disappointed that Monarch had not factored this in and I am left extremely out of pocket having chosen reasonably priced tickets to allow for our budget. I did not factor in a huge telephone bill along with ticket charges. I would therefore be grateful if you could consider a respectable 'reimbursement' of charges, for example I have just booked two suitcases for my sons tickets for the outward journey, perhaps if Monarch would be kind enough to waive charges on two suitcases of 20 kilos for the return journey it would contribute to the high telephone bill that this website page technical problem has caused. Please review and revert. Kind regards, Helen Mylonas

28-Jul-2015

Your booking experience

Regarding the recent booking experience I make the following negative observations

1 I have made this point before - when I compare the flight times to Malaga and back between Birmingham , East Midlands and Manchester , within an hour , they are more or less the same - would be preferable that there was a spread of times

2 While I understand that at this time of the year the cost of a flight , particularly when booking within a week of flying , is at a premium , then why is the cost of reserving a seat "up front " £29.99 per seat per flight ?

Moving onto suggestions :

A I receive too many emails promoting Monarch flights which , on the surface , are offering some wonderful deals - I have never found a deal to Malaga - they are always to somewhere I never fly to !
B If you REALLY value my loyalty then I am sure your computer systems are capable of recognising what any passenger regularly does - in my case , because I own a house in Marbella - I fly to Malaga 90% of the time .
C Then why not reward this pattern of behaviour to ensure I fly with Monarch and not EasyJet or Ryanair by providing a point of difference .
D I find myself sitting " up front " with regular Monarch users as myself - as a thank you , for this easily recorded fact , then please stop sending me universally generated promotions and instead send personally tailored offers of complimentary " up front " no extra charge seats once in a while
E What I am trying to point out is that I feel like an email address and not a valued passenger - I hope that makes sense and is an inspiration to make a change

I welcome an individual , personal response to prove that I matter as a person - the way you either do or don't respond to this survey will be very interesting .

If I don't receive the above , then please don't ever send me an email survey request again !
*personal info removed by Feefo*